the pan that can search

Custom Search

03 November 2009

Singapore Airlines Review - Los Angeles to Tokyo

We got to fly in a 747 for our trip to Tokyo. We got a package from Singapore Airlines for about $1000 that included non-stop airfare from Los Angeles to Tokyo Narita, shuttle service from and to Tokyo airport, a half day tour and five nights at the Hilton in Shinjuku.

I got my picture taken with one of the stewardesses because I liked her uniform. I later read in the magazine in the pocket in front of my seat that French Courtier, Pierre Balmain designed the uniforms in 1968. The collar changed a little in 1974, but the Malay sarong-kebaya inspired outfits have remained exactly the same. The different colored patterns of the uniforms denote rank. The male crewmembers wear different patterned ties. Each crewmember receives 4 new uniforms. Singapore Airlines’ in-house tailors fit each uniform at least twice.
Each seat had on demand movies, tv channels and video games. The corded remote could be turned sideways to function as a video game controller. I played Mario Brothers, but since the A and B buttons were at a diagonal, I fell into a lot of holes.

Roasted peanut snacks.
Printed drink and food menu.

My Singapore Sling. The stewardess in the earlier picture did NOT skimp on the alcohol.
Lunch - Braised chicken and onion. Yummy!
Soba noodles with green onion and wasabi.
The seafood salad was surprisingly fresh and tasty.
Ice cream for dessert.

The light bites choices were a savory sandwich or this veggie wrap. I got a sandwich, but I ate it before I remembered to take a picture.

Our “light meal” before landing was spicy Thai fried rice. So good!


In our little international flight pouch, we got socks, a toothbrush and mini toothpaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment